Thursday, February 07, 2019

GIMP 2.10.6 working on MacOS Leopard!

My white MacBook is a perfectly fine computer, has an excellent screen and keyboard (superior to later models I have) so even if it is running a legacy OS version, I'd love to continue using it and, perhaps, other of you are in the same situation.

Besides ArcticFox (which I got running on 10.6, but not on 10.5 yet) and various developer tools, the most essential tool I like to have is GIMP, also given the excellent LCD this Laptop has.

Some work from macports to get up-to-date tools and dependent libraries, I patched its package.

Little work was needed in GIMP itself, I shared all the patches upstream and I hope they will be accepted. The remaining issues are in GEGL, but different solutions are available: essentially realpath doesn't like a null argument.

Enjoy this screenshot as a proof.



Next question: will it work on PowerPC too? I hope so! Getting GIMP to work on 10.5 opens this possibility.

P.S.: this post was written directly on the MacBook i386 using TenFourFox running natively on Intel!

No comments: