Wednesday, February 25, 2015

GNUMail and TalkSoup getting back to MacOS

In the effort of peppin up and removing bitrot from TalkSoup, the GNUstep IRC client, I am doing  a native build of it on MacOS.
Apparently there was a port in the past, but it was not an Xcode build and it uses may tricks.
I have already ported the application the core and the main bundles: this pointed out many weak parts of the code and many more warnings than I was getting on GNUstep.

Soon I will be able to make a new, updated release!

The application works now much better! x86 and PPC... so I can enjoy a chat on my iBook:



Also GNUMail has progress: before running only on ppc and 10.4, now the application runs fine also on x86!
During this process I am also trying to modernize GNUMail's code gradually: the application was written for GNUstep, but the Macintosh port was port with a lot of conditional code, 10  and years ago GNUstep was less complete. A lot of these exception can now be removed. I am going to investigate each of them and remove as many of them.




1 comment:

Fire Restoration Upland said...

Appreciate your blog ppost